**You may have received notification of the new Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) benefits. Making the switch to the new Chapter 33 may or may not be to your benefit. Please make sure to carefully examine the information found at or request a benefit comparison before making this IRREVOCABLE decision.

Links to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Service Branch Homepage

Chapter Benefits

Veteran Responsibilities

Application Process for G.I. Bill Benefits

Verification of Enrollment

Request a Military Transcript

College of the Ozarks is approved for certification of students eligible to receive educational assistance (G.I. Bill) from the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). All students who receive benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs are advised by the College of the Ozarks Registrar’s Office.

Registrar’s Office
Location: McDonald Administration Building
Mailing Address: PO Box 17, Point Lookout, MO 65726
Phone: 417-690-3223
Fax: 417-337-7220

The information stated here is based on existing rules and regulations of the Department of Veterans Affairs and should not be construed as being absolute. New rules and regulations are being released by the DVA continually and may supersede the information stated here. You will be notified of changes that will affect your benefits (G.I. Bill).

Links to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Home Page

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Service Home Page

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs - Veterans Benefits Administration

Links to Service Branch Homepage

U.S. Army Air National Guard
U.S. Air Force Air Force Reserve
U.S. Navy Coast Guard
Army National Guard Marine Reserve
Army Reserve Navy Reserve

Chapter Benefits

Described below are chapters under which you may qualify:

Chapter 32-Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
This program provides benefits to persons who initially entered the service after December 31, 1976, and before July 1, 1985. These persons volunteered to contribute money to the Post-Vietnam Era Veteran Educational Assistance Program. Participants receive monthly payments for the number of months they contributed or for 36 months, whichever is less.

Chapter 30-New Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty
Persons who entered active duty after June 30, 1985 may qualify for this program. These persons also must have served a minimum of two years, earned a high school diploma or its equivalent either prior to, or during the qualifying enlistment, and must have an honorable discharge.   Other requirements may apply.

Chapter 1606-New Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve/National Guard
This program provides benefits for members of the Selected Reserve/National Guard who enlisted, re-enlisted or extended their enlistment for a period of six years after June 30, 1985.

Chapter 35-Dependent or Spouse of 100% Disabled or Deceased Veterans (Service Connected)
This program provides benefits for dependents and spouses of veterans who died or are 100 percent disabled due to service-connected causes.

Chapter 31-Vocational Rehabilitation Program
Eligibility for this program is determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. This program provides payment of required fees and a monthly allotment.

Chap 33 – The Post 9/11 GI Bill
This program is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Education Benefit Payment Rates

Veteran Responsibilities

In order to comply with laws governing the G.I. Bill, it is your responsibility as a student to notify the Registrar of your status at the College which includes: when you add or drop a course, change your major, change your address, withdraw from the College, or need tutorial assistance.
The DVA will not pay for the repeat of satisfactory completed courses except under special circumstances.
If you do not make satisfactory academic progress and are suspended from the College, your GI Bill benefits cannot be resumed until you have met the College requirements for reinstatement.
Your benefits may be terminated if you do not comply with the regulations stated above.

Application Process for G.I. Bill Benefits

  1. Apply for admission to the College
  2. Register for classes (enrolling in classes)
  3. Contact the Registrar's Office
  4. Process required paperwork for G.I. Bill

First Time Students:
The following required forms are provided for you by the Registrar's Office or through the The VONAPP (Veterans On Line Applications) web site:


  • Application for Educational Assistance (DVA Form 22-1990)
  • Certified copy of DD-214 Discharge Document (This form is provided to you by your military branch at completion of enlistment.)

Members of the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve/National Guard

  • Application for Educational Assistance (DVA Form 22-1990)
  • Copy of Notice of Basic Eligibility Form #2384 (This form is provided to you by your unit.)

Dependents or Spouse of 100% Disabled or Deceased Veterans (Service Connected)

  • Application for Educational Assistance (DVA Form 22-5490)

Transfer Students:
When your admission to C of O is complete, please contact the Registrar's Office for an appointment in order to complete the process for continuing your G.I. Bill.

Current Students:

  • Student Verification of Enrollment
    Chapter 30 and Chapter 1606 students must verify their enrollment monthly by Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by Interactive Voice Response (IVR). The preferred method is WAVE, which includes features not in IVR.

    WAVE allows students to verify their enrollment on the Internet at the Education Service web site ( Students must be currently enrolled in an approved educational program and must have a current benefit award to use WAVE.

    IVR allows students to "phone in" their monthly verifications. The number is 1-877-823-2378.

    NOTE: If you are a new student, it is important to allow enough time for the enrollment to be processed. If you attempt to verify enrollment before it is processed, you may receive a system generated message that VA has no record of the enrollment. During peak enrollment periods allow eight weeks for the processing of enrollments.
  • Address Change
    Address changes made in the Registrar's Office will not change your address with the Veteran's Administration. To change your address with Veteran's Administration please call 1-888-442-4551.
  • Direct Deposit
    To sign up or change direct deposit information, please call 1-877-838-2778.
  • Request a Military Transcript
    ARMY: To request a transcript translating Army formal military education and job experience into civilian language: Army Transcript Service (AARTS) -

For more information contact:
Mrs. Karen Back
College of the Ozarks
PO Box 17
Point Lookout, MO 65726
Phone (417) 690-3223

© 2014 College of the Ozarks ®