Welcome to the College of the Ozarks Pre-Physician’s Assistant track page! Students interested in Physician’s Assistant (PA) training must first complete a Bachelor of Science degree. PA Master’s Degree programs do not require a particular major.
Pre-Physician’s Assistant Track
Pre-Physician’s Assistant Requirements For Program Admission
All Physician Assistant Schools have slightly different prerequisites which can be found by going to the school’s website. The student is encouraged to investigate the requirements of the PA schools he or she may wish to attend during the beginning of undergraduate studies. The following is a list of College of the Ozarks courses that are required by the majority of PA programs.
- FCN 311 - Medical Terminology
- MAT 143 - Statistics
Biology: 16 credit hours including:
- BIO 374 - Human Anatomy
- BIO 434 - Vertebrate Physiology
- BIO 304 - Microbiology
- BIO 444 - Genetics
- Upper division Biology courses have prerequisites that require additional hours in biology and chemistry. See College catalog for course listings.
Psychology: 3 credit hours including:
- PSY 103 - Introduction to Psychology
Chemistry: 13-22 credit hours including:
- CHE 114 - General Chemistry I
- CHE 124 - General Chemistry II
- CHE 215 - Organic Chemistry I
- CHE 225 - Organic Chemistry II (check PA school program requirements)
- CHE 424 - Biochemistry (check PA school for program requirements)
Physician Assistant programs in the region:
Missouri State University
St. Louis University
University of Missouri at Kansas City
Harding University, Arkansas
University of Arkansas Medical Sciences (Little Rock)
Objectives of Pre-Physician's Assistant Programs
Pre-Physician's Assistant track students will be expected to:
- Complete shadowing and health care experience.
- Most PA programs require a large number of hours of health care experience prior to application. This experience is very important to admission into PA programs. Investigate the specific requirements of individual PA programs for details.